In the world of forex trading, some assets are far more widely traded by retail traders. The popularity of these assets can be attributed to market size, liquidity, volatility, and accessibility. Here are some of the most commonly traded assets at retail forex brokers:
- Currency Pairs: Forex trading primarily involves buying and selling currency pairs. Major currency pairs, such as EUR/USD, GBP/USD, USD/JPY, and USD/CHF, are highly liquid and widely traded due to their global significance. Economic indicators, central bank policies, geopolitical events, and market sentiment influence these pairs. The forex market’s immense liquidity and 24-hour availability make currency pairs attractive to traders seeking diverse opportunities.
- Stock Indices: Many forex brokers offer contracts for difference (CFDs) on major stock indices, such as the S&P 500, Dow Jones Industrial Average, FTSE 100, and Nikkei 225. Stock indices represent the performance of a basket of stocks from a particular region or sector. Retail traders are drawn to stock indices due to their correlation with economic conditions, corporate earnings, and investor sentiment. Additionally, trading stock indices allows for diversification beyond forex markets, providing exposure to global equity markets.
- Commodities: Popular commodities traded at forex brokers include precious metals (gold, silver), energy products (crude oil, natural gas), and agricultural products (corn, wheat, soybeans). Supply and demand dynamics, geopolitical factors, and economic conditions influence commodities. Retail traders often trade commodities to diversify their portfolios, hedge against inflation, or capitalize on market trends. The high liquidity and price volatility in commodity markets makes them appealing to traders seeking short-term trading opportunities.
- Cryptocurrencies: With the rise of digital currencies, many forex brokers now offer trading on cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin (BTC), Ethereum (ETH), and Litecoin (LTC). Cryptocurrencies have gained popularity due to their decentralized nature, potential for high volatility, and technological innovation. Retail traders are attracted to cryptocurrencies for their speculative potential and the ability to trade 24/7. However, it is essential to note that cryptocurrency markets can be highly volatile and require careful risk management.
- Bonds and Interest Rate Products: Some forex brokers provide access to trading government bonds, treasury notes, and interest rate futures. Economic indicators, central bank policies, and market expectations regarding interest rates influence these instruments. Retail traders may trade bonds and interest rate products to take positions on interest rate differentials, speculate on macroeconomic trends, or hedge against currency exposures.
The popularity of these assets among retail traders can be attributed to several reasons:
- Liquidity: Forex brokers’ most commonly traded assets tend to be highly liquid. Liquidity ensures traders can quickly enter and exit positions without significant price slippage. Higher liquidity also translates into narrower spreads, reducing transaction costs for traders.
- Accessibility: Forex brokers typically provide easy access to these commonly traded assets through their trading platforms. Retail traders can trade these assets with a few clicks, leveraging the broker’s technology and infrastructure.
- Volatility and Trading Opportunities: Assets with higher volatility present more significant trading opportunities for retail traders. Volatile markets offer the potential for larger price swings and profit potential within shorter timeframes. Consequently, traders are drawn to assets that exhibit consistent volatility, allowing them to capitalize on market movements.
- Information Availability: The availability of information plays a significant role in the popularity of certain assets. Assets that receive extensive coverage in financial news, analysis reports, and online trading communities tend to attract more retail traders. Access to information facilitates better-informed trading decisions and enhances confidence among traders.
- Diversification: Retail traders often seek diversification in their portfolios to spread risk and capture opportunities across different markets. Trading commonly traded assets allow traders to diversify their trading strategies, reducing exposure to specific currencies or markets.
It’s important to note that the popularity of specific assets can evolve as market conditions and trader preferences change. Additionally, traders’ preferences may vary based on their trading strategies, risk appetite, and individual interests.
Some of the most widely traded currency pairs include:
- EUR/USD: The Euro and the US Dollar represent the two largest economies in the world, making EUR/USD the most traded currency pair. The Eurozone and the United States have significant trade and investment ties, and their respective central bank policies greatly influence global financial markets. The liquidity and stability of EUR/USD attract traders seeking ample trading opportunities and tighter spreads.
- GBP/USD: The British Pound and the US Dollar comprise the GBP/USD currency pair. The United Kingdom and the United States have historically strong economic and financial links. GBP/USD is influenced by economic indicators, central bank decisions, geopolitical factors, and market sentiment. The pair’s liquidity and volatility make it attractive to traders aiming to capitalize on market trends and news events.
- USD/JPY: USD/JPY represents the US Dollar and the Japanese Yen. Japan is the world’s third-largest economy, and the Yen is often used as a safe-haven currency. USD/JPY is influenced by monetary policies, economic data, and market risk sentiment. This pair is popular among traders due to its liquidity, volatility, and potential for trading opportunities during Asian and overlapping trading sessions.
- USD/CHF: The USD/CHF currency pair combines the US Dollar and the Swiss Franc. Switzerland is known for its stable financial system and safe-haven status. USD/CHF is influenced by economic indicators, central bank actions, and market risk sentiment. Traders are attracted to USD/CHF due to its liquidity, relatively low volatility, and the Swiss Franc’s reputation as a safe-haven currency.
- USD/CAD: The Canadian and US Dollars form the USD/CAD currency pairs. Canada has close economic ties with the United States, making USD/CAD sensitive to factors such as oil prices, trade relations, and the monetary policies of both countries. The pair’s liquidity, volatility, and correlation with commodity markets make it popular among traders seeking exposure to energy-related price movements.
- AUD/USD: AUD/USD represents the Australian and US Dollar pairs. Australia is a major exporter of commodities, including iron ore, coal, and gold. As a result, AUD/USD is influenced by commodity prices, Chinese economic indicators, and global risk sentiment. Retail traders are attracted to AUD/USD due to its liquidity, volatility, and opportunities to trade based on commodity market trends.
Stock trading has also seen a rise in popularity among retail traders. This is primarily down to brand recognition and access to new price feeds. Some of the most widely traded stocks include:
- Apple Inc. (AAPL): As one of the world’s largest and most valuable companies, Apple attracts significant attention from traders. AAPL is known for its innovative products and services, and its stock is traded actively due to its liquidity and market capitalization. The company’s earnings reports, product launches, and overall market sentiment can impact the stock’s volatility, making it appealing to traders.
- Amazon.com Inc. (AMZN): Amazon is a global e-commerce and technology giant. AMZN’s stock is widely traded due to the company’s dominant position in online retail, cloud services, and entertainment. Traders are drawn to AMZN’s stock due to its volatility and the potential for price movements driven by company news, earnings reports, and market trends.
- Alphabet Inc. (GOOGL): The parent company of Google, Alphabet is a leading technology conglomerate. GOOGL’s stock is popular among traders due to its connection to the tech industry and its prominent presence in online advertising, search, and other digital services. The stock’s liquidity, volatility, and sensitivity to market trends attract traders seeking exposure to the technology sector.
- Microsoft Corporation (MSFT): Microsoft is a well-established technology company known for its software products and cloud services. MSFT’s stock is frequently traded due to its stability, liquidity, and market capitalization. The company’s product releases, earnings announcements, and strategic moves can influence the stock’s performance, providing trading opportunities.
- Facebook, Inc. (FB): Facebook is a social media giant with a massive user base and extensive advertising revenue. FB’s stock is actively traded due to the company’s influence on digital marketing, social media trends, and user engagement. Traders are attracted to FB’s stock for its liquidity and potential for price movements driven by news, regulatory developments, and advertising trends.
- Tesla, Inc. (TSLA): Tesla is a prominent electric vehicle manufacturer led by entrepreneur Elon Musk. TSLA’s stock is highly popular among traders due to its volatility and its role in the electric vehicle and renewable energy sectors. Vehicle production numbers, earnings reports, and market sentiment influence the stock’s performance.
It’s essential to know why your traders open their positions and not just which assets they trade. Therefore, almost all brokers offer their traders access to a research portal and an economic calendar.
Events on the economic calendar are, to a very large degree, repeat, meaning the same events occur at fixed intervals throughout the trading day.
News trading is one of the most popular trading strategies with trading based around:
- Economic Importance: The currency pairs involve major economies with significant trade and investment activities. Traders are drawn to currency pairs representing countries with substantial economic influence and global significance.
- Liquidity: The most commonly traded currency pairs are highly liquid, allowing traders to enter and exit positions efficiently. Liquidity ensures tight spreads and minimal slippage, reducing transaction costs for traders.
- Volatility and Trading Opportunities: Currency pairs with sufficient volatility provide traders with opportunities for profit potential. Volatile pairs can capture substantial price movements within shorter timeframes, attracting traders seeking active trading opportunities.
- Availability of Information: The availability of information can influence currency pairs’ popularity. Major currency pairs receive extensive coverage in financial news, analysis reports, and online trading communities, providing traders with ample resources to make informed trading decisions.
Your brokerage needs access to information to track how and what your clients are trading. Your MT4 and MT5 trading platforms will already provide that feedback for you, but you need to utilize it in your marketing and acquisition efforts to reap the rewards.
At PLUGIT, we’ve been developing intelligent solutions for brokers since 2012. One of those solutions is our custom Forex CRM. This highly efficient module will help with all your client onboarding processes and help you segment and optimize your client acquisition.
We recently published a dedicated article about the benefits of client segmentation, so please take the time to read that.
The PLUGIT forex CRM will help you get the most out of your client database, reduce churn and maximize your revenues. The comprehensive built-in reporting system will tell you precisely what your clients are trading and when your clients are trading. That allows you to fine-tune your marketing for maximum results.
Our onboarding experts will be more than happy to walk you through the features and benefits of our forex CRM so get in touch today and join the PLUGIT family. With over one hundred of the leading global brokers already trusting their operations to PLUGIT, you’ll be in the very best of company!